Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Love filled Food from our Past

 I have a lot on my plate this week,
or really I should say that
I'm dreaming up lots of delicious things to put on my plate this week.

When planning what to make for our family gatherings this Sunday, we wanted to bring back some old dishes from our wise and talented relatives.  We have a lot of Italian in our families, so naturally we chose to make some old Italian dishes.

So, we will be making versions of Manicotti as well as Baked Breaded Pasta with Anchovies as our, making old dishes new, and gluten-free of course!

A habit I will never break, is making old dishes new and safe for those of us who can not tolerate a molecule of gluten.  For me, it is always exciting to do this, especially with old family recipes.  It makes me feel that much more connected to my ancestors, and thus that much more connected with my food.  And we all know deep down, that food feeds much more than our bellies, it also has a direct line to our hearts.  Which is why it is so important to fill our foods with love to ensure a filled heart.

Dishes on the menu this week before Sunday Family FunDay....
Shrimp Cakes & Fish Tacos
*Crock Pot Coconut Curried Lamb
*Cinnamon Bread
Chocolate Macaroons
Roasted Chicken, *Millet Stuffing & *Mushroom Gravy
Almond Biscotti
*Carrot Cupcakes
Sweet & Savory Crepes
*Cinnamon French Toast
Egg in a Hole in a Bread....recipe below

*All recipes marked can be found in my cookbook, "Organic, Gluten-Free & Delicious"

A breakfast I have been bringing back into my morning is, of course, an old Italian breakfast my mother used to make for us, Egg in a Hole in a Bread.  Such a simple, but satisfying breakfast.

Egg in a Hole in a Bread

2 Slices Udi's Multigrain Bread
1 Organic Egg
Organic Coconut Oil Ghee or Organic Ghee, to taste
Sea Salt with Sea Vegetable Seasoning, to taste
 
In a skillet heat about 1/2 TB Coconut Oil Ghee until hot, but not smoking. 


Prep 1 slice of bread by cutting a hole out of the middle, about 3 inches in diameter.  Can use the rim of a glass, or I use the lid of a clean jam jar.  Once you have a circle cut out of 1 slice of bread, feel free to toast the circle and the full slice of bread, and spread ghee on to your liking.


When pan is hot, place your holed bread in the center, crack your egg into the hole in your bread, and let cook for about 2 minutes, or until the egg whites have solidified enough to flip the bread over.  Flip egg in a hole in a bread, and cook 1 minute longer for a runny yolk to dip your extra toast in.


Serve your egg in a hole in a bread, with a sprinkle of sea salt with sea vegetables, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...