Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Organic Citrus Juice with Love

For weeks every time I was in Jandi's Natural Market & Cafe, I would get intoxicated by the smell of the fresh valencia oranges being juiced at the juice bar.  I don't often buy prepped food or drink items that I can make myself, but I just had to give it a try. Boy was I happy that I did!!!  It sparked my old taste buds for fresh squeezed OJ.  So, I just had to search out an easy way to juice my own citrus at home.  

I am not one to spend a lot of money on kitchen appliances, but also don't like to get one just because it is the cheapest in price.  I ended up with a BPA-Free Cuisineart Citrus Juicer.  I toyed with the idea of the old fashioned stainless steel juicer that uses pure elbow grease to power, but decided to save my arms & my time. 

Some of you may be asking, why not just purchase a container of organic orange juice from the grocery store?  

If you don't know already listen up...ALL commercial orange juices (and most other juices), even organic ones, have been pasteurized.  The process of pasteurization depletes foods of its most vital minerals & vitamins, so the OJ you are drinking (if store bought) isn't giving your body all that it can & should. 
If you are anything like me, you want all your foods to work hard for you.  
I use food as medicine and really value ever single nutrient that they feed me.  So when in doubt about a pre-prepped food item, go straight to the source!

Purchasing citrus & juicing it yourself is neither difficult nor very time consuming. 
You can even consider making larger batches and freezing them in small jars for fresh juice anytime!
Once it hits your lips, I promise, you will never consider going back to drinking juice from any other place than straight from the fruit!

To get the very best juice from your fruits, purchase all Organic & when they are in season.
Some of my favorite citruses & their optimal seasons...

Valencia Oranges : April - December
Naval Oranges : December - April 
Blood Oranges : Mid January - Mid April
Mineola Tangelos : April - June
Grapefruits : May - September 
Myer Lemons : December - February 
Satsuma Mandarins (cousin of the Clementine) : November - February
(For the best Organic Satsuma Mandarins order from the wonderful Ann's Orchard when in season)

Happy Juicing Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...